Super glue is super handy but at the same time super troublesome. How? It often happens that doing any work with superglue it can be spilled on plastic, metal, wood, fabric, or even on skin. Children play with superglue by sticking it between two fingers. But that’s a whole another problem. The main problem is sometimes the glue sticks where it is not supposed to stick. Superglue mainly used for joining things or materials that are shattered or slightly broken. Problems occur when the glue stick to any metal it becomes trouble to remove it. To remove super glue from metal you must know about few things. In this article, we will discuss those materials to know how to remove super glue from metal.
How to remove super glue from metal
Super glue can be stuck at any materials at home such as sofa, floor, table, on any hard surface, in your working area, or on your project. Even super glue can be stuck in between your fingers while working. This problem comes with super glue every time you work with it. So, to get rid of the residue glue on your metal or skin there are few things you will need and they are
- Nail polish containing acetone
- Lemon juice
- Vegetable oil
- Mineral spirit
- Soapy water
- Paint scraper
- Razor scraper
Glue removal methods
There are some glue removal methods below for you. You can follow them according to glue residue on your metal. The removal methods are given below.
- Nail polish: Nail polish can be your number one remover to remove super glue from metal. As nail polish contains acetone, acetone helps to break down the bond that formed in glue. And breaking this bond of the glue acetone helps to remove the residue from your metal.
- Before using acetone or nail polish, keep in mind that acetone may damage your metal/ fabric/ table. However, to use acetone on spot you will need a cotton pad. dab a few drops of acetone on the cotton pad. Then place it over the residue of glue and dab there. After dabbing there for a few minutes, now rinse the spot. You will see there is no spot anymore. But if there is still the spot is left, then repeat the process continuously. If you don’t have any cotton pads at home, then you can also use an old towel. Try not to damage the area by rubbing too hard.
- Also Read: How to Remove Paint From Plastic
- Lemon juice: As you know that lemon contains acid, it can be used as natural acetone to remove the glue. How? Lemon is used as a natural cleanser for many cleansing purposes. Because it possesses acid, it can break the bond that formed in the glue. So, to remove your glue residue from wood, metal, plastic, stone, and skin you can use lemon easily.
- Firstly, squeeze a lemon and get the juice from it. Secondly, use an old brush. Now, apply the juice to the residue and rub it with the brush. Keep rubbing gently until the glue comes out. To remove it from your skin, apply the juice on the skin then dab it with the help of your fingers. The glue will slowly come out.
- Vinegar: You can remove your superglue residue with the help of vinegar. You can use distilled water vinegar. Vinegar may not be effective as nail polish remover but still can remove the residue of glue. You need a cotton pad to use the vinegar. Dab some drop of vinegar in a cotton pad then dab it on the spot and let it sit for a few minutes. As you know, vinegar is not effective as acetone or nail polish remover. But vinegar can break the bond the form in the glue. After letting it sit on your spot, now rinse the area and repeat the process if necessary. You can also use Mineral spirit if that’s available. Mineral spirit can also cut the bond of glue and remove it from the place.
- Vegetable oil: If the glue is stuck on your skin or on any hard surface like the floor. You can easily use vegetable oil to remove the glue. You can use any vegetable oil that is available in your house like coconut oil, or olive oil. Oil will loosen the glue from the surface. So to get rid of the glue residue from the surface use vegetable oil. Add a few drops of oil to your skin and rub the area with your fingers gently. To remove from your surface, use an old towel. Now pour few drops of oil on the surface and then rub the area with the help of the towel. This process is a little time-consuming. So you g[have to be very patient in order to get rid of the residue of the glue, keep rubbing!
- Warm soapy water: What to do when nothing is available in your home to remove the glue? Don’t worry. A simple method is always available. The warm soapy water can be your great help to remove the glue residue from your skin or plastic. While working, glue can be stuck to your finger. If that happens, immediately wash your hands. If the glue has dried then use warm water. To make it work more effectively, add some dishwashing detergent and mix it. Now place your hand in the bowl of warm soapy water and rub the area with the help of another hand. If the glue has stuck in any plastic then dip the plastic in the warm water and leave it for a few minutes and the glue will come out by own.
- Paint Scraper: Paint scrapper is very helpful to remove the glue residue when it becomes very dry and stubborn. When all the solutions are not useful to remove your glue residue, it’s time for you to use a paint scraper. Moreover, when the glue is stuck on the hard surface you should use a paint scraper. But be careful while using because it can cause harm to your metal. So to prevent damage to your property, be gentle and patient. On the other hand, to remove glue from a hard surface like metal use a Razor scraper. Particularly, use for glass. To remove glue make sure to not use strength.